2 cups toovar dal (arhar)
1 cup yam (suran), chopped
2 tablespoons peanuts
2 kharekh (optional)
8 pieces cocum, soaked
1 tomato, chopped
50 grams jaggery (gur)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 piece ginger, diced
4 green chillies, slit
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
For the tempering
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek leaves (methi)
10 to 12 curry leaves
2 sticks cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 small round red chillies (boriya)
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
2 tablespoons ghee
1 tablespoon oil
salt ot taste
For the garnish
4 tablespoons chopped coriander
1. Wash and pressure cook the dal in 4 cups of water.
2. In another vessel, pressure cook the yam, peanuts and kharekh.
3. When the dal is cooked, cool slightly and blend till it is smooth.
4. Prepare the tempering by heating the ghee and oil and adding the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, red chillies and asafoetida.
5. Add 3 cups of water, the cocum, tomato, jaggery, lemon juice, ginger, green chilli, chilli powder and turmeric powder and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add the dal, yam pieces, peanuts, kharekh and salt and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Serve hot garnished with coriander.
The longer this dal is simmered, the better it tastes.
|This recipe has been taken with permission from TarlaDalal.com|
Global Desi Yellow Pages - our partner site videsh.com has a comprehensive collection of Desi business from around the world. From beauty parlours, jewellers to Desi driving schools, these Yellow Pages should help you get your meet your Desi desire.